Featured post

A really clear grammar site - About.com

This is a great site for in-depth clarification of grammar points - use their search bar.

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Synchronic language change? Yes.

The article on the elusive 'yes' and the one on angry full stops are great wider reading and you can use them as a springboard for further research.

I use 'yes' often; maybe because I am a teacher and we feed back a great deal. How often do you use 'yes'?

I am also finding work emails to my team mates a struggle and that second article really highlighted why. I can't really use a smiley but a full stop does seem cold and fail to convey the tone I want to use in emilaing colleagues I am friendly with. Problematic. We haven't agreed the changes amongst ourselves yet so synchronic language change can lead to confusion and doubt. Is there any way of resolving this - a sort of punctuation Urban Dictionary? But can I then use these conventions in semi-formal emails? Aargh!

No comments:

Post a Comment