Featured post

A really clear grammar site - About.com

This is a great site for in-depth clarification of grammar points - use their search bar.

Monday 30 June 2014

Language and entitlement

There's a really interesting point in this (among many!) where he talks about not assuming someone's gender pronoun. It takes practice. I saw a toddler dressed in non-gender-specific clothes that I thought was a boy but I didn't want to make a mistake and I had to dance around pronouns talking to his caregiver - it was very tricky. I still think we need a gender-neutral pronoun. Let's challenge the grammatical idea of a 'closed' word class! Mary Gentle in 'Golden Witchbreed' used 'ke' instead of he or she for children. What do you think? Back to the article, I also liked the careful use of adjectives and the prioritising of "gentle" to apply to men.

Jamie Utt | Change From Within

changefromwithin.org/author/jamieutt/

No comments:

Post a Comment